Mauricio Pochettino has held talks with Marc Cucurella over his Chelsea future following his failed move to Manchester United.
Having lost Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia to injury, United sought to sign the former Brighton defender on loan during the final week of the summer transfer window.
Chelsea’s decision to play him in a Carabao Cup tie against AFC Wimbledon scuppered the move, however, with United instead signing Sergio Reguilon from Tottenham.
Cucurella endured a torrid first season at Stamford Bridge following his £65m move last year with recent reports suggesting the Blues are open to letting him leave in January.
For now, however, he could have a role to play under Mauricio Pochettino with Ben Chilwell joining Chelsea’s lengthening injury list. Cucurella impressed in last week’s Carabao Cup victory over Brighton and could start against Fulham in the Premier League on Monday night.
Speaking ahead of that game, Pochettino explained he had no involvement in the left-back’s failed move to Old Trafford late on in the window but says he has sought out the player to offer him a route back into his side since then.
‘I don’t know because I wasn’t involved in this situation, that was more the sporting director, the [player’s] agent and the club.’ Pochettino said on Cucurella coming close to leaving the club.
‘After, when the transfer window closed, we were talking in my office,’ he added.
‘We were really clear about how I see and assess him and I listened to his feelings. Of course, it was a difficult time for him after he arrived from Brighton.
‘It was tough, not only for him, but many, many players.